National Federation of the Deaf Nepal (NDFN) is an umbrella organization of, by and for the Deaf People in Nepal. NDFN was established in 1995 by the joint effort and collaboration of the 8 local deaf associations and formally registered as non- non-governmental organization in the District Administration Office, Kathmandu and the Social Welfare Council. Currently, NDFN has 53 district deaf associations affiliated in Nepal.
The purpose of the formation of NDFN is to strengthen the movement of rights of persons with deafness in Nepal by advocating deaf-friendly laws and policies and collaborating with possible stakeholders, raising awareness, developing and disseminating Nepali Sign Language, formation, capacity building of local deaf associations, strengthening interpreter’s service, communication, employment and many more. Access to information, quality education for deaf children in their preferred language, removing barriers in communication, job and employment opportunities and others are core issues and activities of NDFN.
NDFN is working in close collaboration with the organization of persons with deafblindness, parent organization and organization of persons of visually impaired to promote the rights of persons with deafblindness in Nepal. NDFN is recognized as the National Resource Centre on Deafblindness and is currently working towards strengthening the educational status of children with deafblindness in Chitwan district (Bharatpur Metropolitan City and Kalika Municipality) to address the needs of persons with deafblindness in the district. NDFN is seeking potential candidates for the position of:
1. Home Based Educator
Basic Job Information
|NGO / Social work
|No. of Vacancy/s
|Project Coordinator/Senior Educator
|1 year with a possible extension
|Chitwan district (Kalika Municipality) with frequent home visits in Rural areas
|Apply Before (Deadline)
|19th December 2023 (5 pm Nepali time)
|Bachelor's degree/Higher education level in Education from the marginalized community
|More than or equal to 1 year
- Bachelor's Degree in Education or Higher education level for a candidate from the marginalized community with at least 1 year of work experience in the field of disability, especially sensory impairment.
- Good understanding of disability-related National (disability right Act inclusive education policy, Health policies) and international laws and policies (UNCRPD, SDG)
- Familiar with the current socio-political context and change process
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in Nepali language(English will add value)
- A good understanding of the safeguarding policy of the Country and organization level along with an understanding of its implementation at the ground level will be required.
- Prior experience working in a community-based rehabilitation program and project with home-based support to children with disabilities and working experience with an organization of persons with Disabilities will be an advantage
- Preference would be given to candidates with the ability to communicate in Nepali Sign language and other forms of communication like braille, tactile communication etc.
- Respect for diversity in particular to the poor marginalized, vulnerable and disability population
- Be able to work hands-on with the children and should be able to plan proper Individual Education Plans (IEP) and activities as per the needs of the child.
- The candidate should be able to develop rapport with the family members of the children.
- Work closely with the project team on various events, and awareness campaigns, and conduct trainings and workshops.
- The candidate should be able to conduct/be part of a team conducting functional assessments of the special needs of the children (preferably deafblindness, Visual Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Intellectual disabilities)
- Be able to produce written reports on the child’s progress.
- The candidate should be able to modify classroom/home set-up and help children participate in educational activities.
- Interested candidates can email their CV (CV should include at least 2 references with detail) along with a cover letter describing suitability for the position by 19th December 2023 to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the position title "Home-based Educator” in the subject line.
- NDFN treats the safeguarding of all beneficiaries, staff and volunteers seriously, prioritizing the well-being and safety of everyone who encounters our organization. We will keep the people we support safe from harm by checking that applicants for this job are suitable to work with children and vulnerable adults.
- Shortlisted candidates must present police reports during the interview process.
- NDFN promotes inclusion and encourages people with disabilities and their parents and persons representing racial groups, women, Dalits, Madhesi and other backward communities to apply.
- Phone calls will not be entertained and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process. The organization reserves the right to reject any/all applications without assigning any reasons.